July 01, 2008

Cut Backs

One of my big projects this summer was to get my trees trimmed back. I have two large trees in the front yard- a maple and an elm- and a HUMONGOUS mulberry tree in the back. All of them were overgrown and every time it storms, I lose branches (and worry about my roof as well as the neighbor's.)

After calling around to several tree trimming companies in town, I found one that I really liked, with a price that seemed fairly reasonable. Besides, they were very complimentary about my mulberry tree and told me that they had only seen one tree in all of Wichita that was bigger (over on the east side in College Hill.) The head of the crew guessed it at about 120 years old. Truth be told, that tree was one of the main things that made me fall in love with this house the very first time I ever saw it.

Anyway, they came this afternoon with a crew of 7 and worked for about six hours taking care of everything. I must say that it was great fun to watch them work. There were three guys that had climbing gear that went up in the trees with chainsaws to get the bulk of the branches. They were up and down and swinging around in the branches like Tarzan (no yells that I heard, but I was expecting them at any minute.) It looked like it was snowing sawdust. Then the clean up crew, who looked not unlike ZZ Top, piled all the debris on a giant trailer. It reminded me of the hay baling stories I've read about, where there is one person on top- everyone tosses in some of the branches, then the guy on top runs around stamping it all down, then the process repeats all over again. I was quite amazed at the height they were able to achieve- very impressive!

And then it was all over, and I can see my roof again. They cut all the deadwood out of all three of the trees and raised them up over the street and the roofs- and did a fantastic job. Now all I need to do is get the rest of the landscaping under control... one step at a time...

Before:












In progress:










After:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would actually love that souffle recipe...if convenient. Mmm. (And root beer floats were great for dinner :) )