
I finished Persepolis and Persepolis 2, both by Marjane Satrapi, this weekend as part of the Expanding Your Horizons Challenge. I've not had much experience reading graphic novels, but was completely impressed with these two.
Persepolis is the story of the author's childhood growing up in Iran. She begins the story by talking about how she and her school companions had to start wearing the veil as a result of the Islamic Revolution. The contrast of the rules forced by the political/religious leaders and the attitude of the people is a fascinating one- they find all sorts of ways to rebel, from demonstrations to listening to punk music and making wine in the bathtub. Friends and family members spend time in jail in horrible conditions, there is constant concern about the "Guardians of the Revolution", and the army propaganda encourages young boys to join in and become martyrs for the cause. In spite of all of this, the close relations in the author's family provide hope. Her parents are extremely liberal in their thinking and try to raise their daughter to be independent, educated, and strong-minded, her grandmother is wise, and her uncle loves her like his own. I knew very little about Iran and the Islamic Revolution, and I felt like this book gave me a much better idea of what happened- both a bit of the history behind it as well as how people reacted to it.
Persepolis 2 is subtitled "The Story of a Return". The author is sent to Europe for her education, and she shares some of the challenges of being so far away from her family and country. She struggles mightily to find friends and get a sense of herself. And eventually she chooses to return to Iran. The big challenge is that going home is not quite as easy as she thought it would be. She has grown up with quite a bit of freedom, and things at home are not as free. Throughout this, I was so impressed with the relationship between her and her parents. They support her in spite of all challenges.
One of my favorite passages from the book (Persepolis 2) discusses the effects of the regime's enforcement of endless rules.
"The regime had understood that one person leaving her house while asking herself: 'Are my trousers long enough? Is my veil in place? Can my make-up be seen? Are they going to whip me?' no longer asks herself: 'Where is my freedom of thought? Were is my freedom of speech? My life, is it livable? What's going on in the political prisons?'
It's only natural! When we're afraid, we lose all sense of analysis and reflection. Our fear paralyzes us. Besides, fear has always been the driving force behind all dictators' repression."
I heartily recommend this book. Many thanks to Christine for suggesting it! I thought it was brilliantly done, and loved the way it was presented.
2 comments:
I really ought to give graphic novels a chance. C likes Babymouse a whole lot, and I've heard nothing but good about American Born Chinese. I just need to get over my aversion to comic books... :)
I read this book toward the close of 07' and I loved it! It was my first time reading a graphic novel and I thought it was marvelous. I only wish I lived in a city where I could see the film which was just released in December and apparently nominated for an Oscar. Very well done Sarah in your review and bravo Satrapi on the nomination!
Post a Comment